Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Testing...Testing

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves
2 Corinthians 13:5

At bible study we had been working our way through 2 Corinthians, and neared the end. The facilitator, Jim, told us that most commentators felt chapters 10-13 were a repetition of the first chapters, so we skimmed them.

But our discussion did land on this particular verse (among others) about testing yourself. Although I could not have said is so clearly in the past, I like the fact that the main focus of the New Testament seems to be about the transformation of the individual.

That is acknowledges that "we" are the ones that need to change, or repent. I know I am more than willing to request, or require, the change of those around me. Its easy to do that. It is harder, and much more satisfying for me in the long run, to realize, and to participate in, that change in me.

Then I wondered well, what is the test, how do I examine myself, how do I know if Christ is in me? The previous session Jim had handed out this bible verse:

the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Galatians 5:22-23

Now I just have remember fruit doesn't grow overnight, may I be righteously patient.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment