Friday, March 1, 2013

Confession

 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

As a non catholic believer, I have had very little use for confession. Any kind really, even out loud to God. This is due in no small part to the absolute guilt I was encouraged to feel at every failure. Especially the failures that my particular Christian sect (Adventist) had decided were the worst (Sabbath Breaking, Eating Meat, Being Human).

And I think that is the problem with SIN!!! As Christians we have spent so much time demonizing sin (is that even possible) to the point where I know I am afraid to confess it.

And yet, if I don't confess it: name it, call it out; as failure to do what I know we ought to, am I not just strengthening my propensity to do it even further? I think so.

Call it what it is, and no doubt eventually it will seem repugnant. Holiness is a life time venture.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment