Monday, March 4, 2013

Knock Knock

 Listen! My beloved is knocking: Open to me
Song of Solomon 5:2

This whole chapter is about a lover and the beloved. Someone reaching out to another person, and the other person, at least initially, not really wanting to make the connection. The beloved doesn't want to get out of bed, doesn't want to get dressed, and doesn't want to walk on a cold floor to meet the loved.

WOW, talk about love.

Over the weekend I was reading some material about co-dependency. A term originally applied to the families of alcoholics, but has since been applied more liberally. I like the casual definition I found on the WebMD site: It's kind of a weird phrase, and it doesn't sound like it means a one-sided relationship. But that's what it is. It means you're trying to make the relationship work with someone else who's not.

Solomon's story seems to hit on that to a degree.

And of course I think this happens in every relationship. Because of illness or life events, often one person is required to give more, for the moment, than the other.

For me, the wisdom is in learning when something is temporary or "permanent" and having the grace to avoid one sided relationships, something I am not very good at.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment