Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Will He or Won't He?

Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.  
Luke 22:42

I have been wondering about God's will lately. It seems that the more I live the more I start to think that what Christians call "Gods will" is just a fancy way of saying what the French say: C'est La Vie ~ "What will be, will be", or more crudely "Sh!t happens!".

For a long time that would have been very hard to take, because I think God is King. But I have realized he is not a Tyrant King imposing his will, that is not him. If you have any doubt, look at Jesus.

Then it occurred to me that perhaps what God wills is not what God wants either. That perhaps God's will and want are towo different things. God may not wanted Jesus to suffer, but it was what had to happen in order for the people on this planet to avoid the Final Sentence of Death.

I don't know, and yet, this idea explains to me better the purpose of prayer. According to Strong's Concordance one of the words defined as "prayer" in english, can mean "to rub down" or sand. Like in a carpenters shop.

And I like that idea of prayer. One that acknowledges that much of life is out of our control and yet we are not consumed by it, but rather, as co-creators with God, we take the darkness and make light. Out of the loss, the hurt, the pain, we bring forth works of joy, love, and truth.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment