Thursday, February 14, 2013

Motivation

the truth will set you free
John 8:32

I always thought this was a Truth with a capital "T". About the big things, and after yesterday, I am wondering if it is less about universal truth's and more about the truth about Darrel.

You see, I have been struggling with Job 1 for the last 2 or so months. In that first chapter God tells satan that Job respects him, and Satan counters with the thought that Job only does so because of God's deep care for him. God lets Satan test that hypothesis.

I knew this was something I needed to know, that there was some heart work for me to do. And yesterday after being ignored at work, this verse came to my mind.

Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them
Matthew 6:1

God opened my mind to the fact that I was seeking the praise of others: my bosses, my coworkers, my friends. He laid bare my motivations, and they were not pure.

Of course I doubt anyone could have seen this. I don't think my hypocrisy (what Jesus calls those who do the above) was obvious to any of them. But that isn't the point, it was obvious to God, and He made it obvious to me. Like a doctor finding the right diagnosis I could say very confidently: "The symptoms fit the disease!" And I felt the burden of months fall away.

And this should not have surprised me, God isn't so worried about our outward actions, what is important to Him is not so much What we do but Why. Here the word of the Lord:

if I don’t have love, I am nothing ~ 1 Corinthians 13

People are made wrong by what comes from inside them ~ Mark 7:15

The Truth has set me free, and that truth is about me, as horrible as it is.

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment