Sunday, February 17, 2013

FAIL

if you forgive other people their failures
Matthew 6:14

The other day I was upset at my co-workers for not asking me if I wanted anything for lunch. I started to come up with all kinds of paranoid reasons for their actions. Then I happened to read the entire chapter of Matthew 6 in the translation of the Bible we use for bible study.

Part of that chapter includes the Lord's Prayer, and a translation of Sin I had never seen. Instead of SIN the word is simply translated "failures".

That gave me pause, and made me think about how I often fail to do things. It cast sin in a new light, not as some giant scary thing we all do, to a more mundane thing, one of everyday life, and simple failure.

From the terror of ultimate evil to the failure to get the right bread at the grocery store, the failure to fill up the gas tank, or even the failure to ask a co-worker if he wants to order lunch.

And realizing that sin can also be a simple failure to do something, it made it simpler to forgive.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment