Monday, February 25, 2013

Talk the Talk

Come. Sit down. Let’s argue this out.
Isaiah 1:18

I read a book about dialogue called "Why Can't We Talk" by John Backman. It was a quick read, partly because I had been thinking about many of the topics it covered: namely valuing another person and showing it. 

In fact from the moment I read the book, all the way to the end, the verse from the Bible that came to my mind was this one from Isaiah. In King James version it is : Come let us reason together. I like this softer approach because argument in our culture is quite vitriolic and I do not think God wants us just yelling at him. Surely there is a time for that, but not always.

In other words God wants to talk. He wants to hear our thoughts, and ideas. No matter what. Because he values us (ie respect).

Then curious me I wanted to know what the words meant in their original language. I was surprised to note that the word translated "come" in our language has among its meanings: the way you live your life: your lifestyle.

I thought it was interesting that perhaps God wants us to make a lifestyle out of talking, valuing, and loving others enough to talk with them and learn about them.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment