Friday, January 11, 2013

Salvation of Suffering


There was a guy who loved God, Satan thought he only loved God because God gave him stuff, so God agreed to let Satan take all of the goodies God had given him. His name was Job, all his goodies were gone, and he sinned not by blaming God.

                          Job 1 summary

I heard a podcast about this by Timothy Kellor, I had not noticed before that the conflict between Satan and God was about Idolatry. 

Idolatry in the Ten Commandments is defined thus: You shall have no other gods before me. Suffering is about destroying those gods.

In many ways Satan is right, I do love God for the goodies he gives me. I love others because of the goodies they give me (things like a job, smiles, hugs, jokes, companionship)

But what if I loved them just for them? Just because they are? Not because of what they give me? 

I don't, that was sent home very recently. My job has gone through some recent turmoil. We have had to make some very quick and drastic changes. I found myself moody and upset, and then I read Job 1, and realized what it was all about. 

I found myself in a similar situation. Did I love my job because of the building we were in? Because of the lovely people I work with? Did I really think they were lovely? Or was it just because they laughed at my jokes, complimented me, and gave me a job? 

My suffering revealed my heart, and brought me closer to God.

In it all I think suffering asks us the question:

Am I - alone - enough for thee?

To which I respond

No, oh Lord, make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment