Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A "Biblical" Friendship

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
                                                                                John 15:13
Right up front I'll say it. I am no greek scholar, I just read the entry for this subject and had a thought, that is what I am a thinker. So here is my thought.

First of all, I have never, and most likely never will have the chance, to physically die for a friend (or anyone else for that matter). And I have always hated this verse for that reason. It seemed to call me to an action I never would get to take.

But then I was introduced to word translated as "life" in English. The greek word is "psyche" (the transliterated word, whatever that is). If you look it up on Strong's concordance. It can mean a couple of different things:

Breath or Soul

Not that odd. Under the entry for Soul it reads:

the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions

This definition got me the most. Because it answered for me how I could fulfill this verse in my own life. It pointed out that life is more than just the physical body I have, but also my wants, my ways, my will. And so I put this verse into practice.

With a friend I cherish very much, I put away what I wanted out of the relationship, and let him lead. It was not easy (I hate football) but I was just glad to spend time with him. Of course this didn't guarantee our friendship, but my choosing to lay down my desires surly helped us to become the fast friends we are today.

And I think it is all about learning to do this with God. He wants me to follow him, and that involves giving up my own will and way. It isn't easy, but just like with my friend(s) I want to get to the point that I am willing to do it for the simple fact that I get to spend time with this Person.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment