Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Just Me

Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him; but the just shall live by his faith.
Habakkuk 2:4

I heard a sermon today about justification. This is a weighty topic that a simple write up cannot tackle. What I liked about the sermon was the discussion of justification being more than forgiveness. For me it seems not only forgiveness but addition.

Addition because in addition to forgiveness it seems that justification is a status as well. That status is one of justified, or declared to be in the right. Not only do I avoid punishment, but the store houses are opened to me as well. My rights have been restored.

The other thing that I thought was interesting was related to Job 1. Wherein Job is tested to see if he loves God just for God, and not for the goodies he gets. Turns out in Job 1 anyway, he does. The speaker in the sermon pointed out that if we love good just because we fear punishment, we don't really love good.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment